OOOOPS!  Sorry -- upon reading this, I found an error:  0  stands for the
... country?  continent?  language of publication? -- one of those.  The
broad area, anyway.

My information comes from working for years in a bookstore, so I don't
have documentation.  But call your local college bookstore for more
information.

Shellie

On Sat, 5 Mar 1994, Michele Mueller wrote:

> Mary-
>
> The numbers in an ISBN number are as follows:
>
> The first numbers refer to the country:  1  stands for the USA
> The next set of numbers name the publisher:  06 is Harper, 670  is
> Viking, etc.  The smaller the number, the bigger the publishing company,
> usually.
>
> The next set of numbers name the exact title of the book -- each book a
> company publishes has its own special number.
>
> The last, one-digit number is the result of a computer formula that
> checks the identity of the whole thing.   My understanding is that it is
> mathematically connected to the rest of the numbers somehow.
>
> That's all I know!
>
> Shellie Mueller
> entiat@u.washington.edu

LM_NET Archive Home