We'll being on a new grading system for caluclating GPA next year. Grades
in Honors or Advanced Placement classes will calculated at a greater
percentage rate than regular classes.  A's will be multiplied by 110%, B's
at 105%, grades of C will not receive any extra weighting.  We used to
automatically add a certain number of points for A's, B's, and C's.  This
appears to be more straight forward and gives students the benefit of
making a higher point grade.  It also discourages a student for settling
for a C because of the added points calculating to a higher grade
automatically.  Hopes this helps.  Sandy B.

Sandy Barron
Tomball High School
Tomball, Texas

On Wed, 23 Feb 1994, Donna Carroll wrote:

> Hello.  Our high school weights Advanced Placement courses. ie.
> Student receives 90 in course, weight of 5 is added, grade of
> 95 is used to determine class rank for college applications.
> Does any other school use weights for Regents or other upper
> level courses? How much weight is given?  What is weighted
> score used for?  We are thinking of expanding our weight
> program to encourage more students to take the harder classes.
> Thanks for any replies. Donna
>
> --
>         Donna Carroll
>                 Alden High School