Hi, all!

Here are some quick responses to several recent postings on LM_NET.  I'm
posting this to the list since others may be interested as well.

First, regarding Paula Neale's question about the difference between
linocuts and woodcuts, having produced both, I can tell you there is no
difference in the process.  With both linocuts and woodcuts, patterns are
cut into a block using woodcarvers' gouges and knives, then the block is
inked and paper is laid on top.  The paper is then rubbed with a spoon to
ensure that the ink transfers to all areas of the print.  The only
difference is that the blocks for cutting are different;  blocks used for
linocuts are wooden blocks covered with linoleum, while blocks used for
woodcuts are completely wooden.  Actually, another difference is the
amount of detail each makes possible -- linocuts are good for broad,
simple lines, bolder prints, while woodcuts are capable of producing more
fine detail.

Regarding Marg Stimson's request for good videos about picture book
illustration, here is a related video.  From Weston Woods is a video
called THE PICTURE BOOK ANIMATED, which shows how Weston Wood videos go
from the storybook to the animated version.  It's very good!

And lastly, regarding Marla Williams' question about space probe photos
over the 'net, several gif archives exist that are likely candidates for
these photos:
        Washington University           wuarchive.wustl.edu
        University of N. Carolina       samba.acs.unc.edu
        University of Michigan          scavengerhunt.rs.itd.umich.edu
        University of Texas             emx.cc.utexas.edu
Although I don't know that any of these places will be the receptacles of
those images, they already contain many fine pictures, current and
historical, of space and space exploration.  To see them, you must have a
GIFConverter, but they are easily found and obtained for free via the
'net.  Try an archie search to find a source.

Hope this helps!

Jan Hosey
Auburn University
hoseyjz@mail.auburn.edu