We just got a cable Hookup after several years of pestering the local
cable company, and now I'm trying to figure out how best to use it.

I just read in CABLE IN THE CLASSROOM about how some teachers are
using Closed Captioning to help ESL students.  We don't have any
of those, but we have a lot of students reading way below grade level
and especially students who can decode but not comprehend.  It occurs
to me that closed captioned video might have possibilities for them.
Our district is looking at increased programs for At-risk students, and
there will be some State money for this purpose, so I'd like to know
more about this with a view to giving the information to some of the
committee members.

Is anyone using or providing this service for their teachers.  What is
involved in getting and using a decoder?  How much does one cost?
Does it require a dedicated VCR?  Any information you have will be
appreciated.

Paula Neale
MOHMIE@delphi.com

LM_NET Archive Home