        Paula Neale asked about using Closed Caption Decoders to teach
reading to students who are significantly behind grade level in reading.

        Having successfully used closed-caption in both ESL and remedial
reading settings, I can attest to its value.  Some problems exist:
Students must be prepared to accept the reality that they will have to
READ, not hear the dialog; they must know that some "shorthand" symbols
are used for some words, and students must be tested on what they *read*,
not on what they saw.  Some students can sit with their eyes fixed on the
screen but with their minds elsewhere (no different than when the teacher
is talking to them). :-)

        The decoders are boxes that are easily connected, like a VCR is,
to either the VCR or to the TV set, and the Decoder can be either On or Off.
Many new VCRs come with the decoder already installed as do some new TV
sets.  I paid $175 8 or 9 years ago for the one I used which is still in use.
I believe that Sears keeps them in stock.

                                                - Mel Roseman

Mel Roseman
Internet: mrosema@ctp.org

LM_NET Archive Home