    I need experienced advice on a software choice that our district will
    soon need to make. If purchase price were not a consideration, would
    we be wiser to purchase ClarisWorks, or Microsoft's Office software
    for almost 1000 computers to be purchased for teacher use?  These
    computers, both Mac and DOS platforms with a choice of desktop or
    laptop models, will be placed with K-12 teachers for professional
    use, and whichever software we decide on will be bundled when the
    computers arrive.

    I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience and advice,
    particularly those who have used both applications and have insights
    that a beginner may overlook. One such example is the observation
    that since MS Word is a disk-intensive program and PowerBook users
    dislike it since it depletes the battery too fast, given its frequent
    calls to the hard disk.

    Comments and critique welcome -- and thank you again.  I'll post this
    information to the net if there is enough interest.

    Sheryl Steinke
    Eugene 4J Schools
    Eugene, OR

    steinke@4j.lane.edu