        Many thanks to everyone who responded to my request for
information about the use of Discis books in schools.  Generally,
comments were favorable.  However, when they were compared to
Broderbund's Living Books series (Arthus's Teacher Trouble, Just Grandma
and Me) Discis did not fare well.  Discis is more static and less
colorful and interactive.  (I was told this by several sources.)
        In a literature search, I found the following articles
specifically about Discis books:
        "Discis Books:  Interactive Computer Books for Children", Tech
Trends, Volume 35, No. 5, 1990.
        Standish, Dorothy G., "The Use of CD-ROM Based Books to Improve
Reading Comprhension in Second Grade Students",ERIC Document, ED 352 605.

        "Multiformat Discis Books" are included on a list of recommended
multimedia software in The American School Board Journal, March 1993.

        Thanks again for responding.

Sylvia Adair, MLS student, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
adair@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

LM_NET Archive Home