Front runners make it into Finger Lake.

7 teams arrived in Finger Lake early this morning - they
were Linwood Feedler, Dee Jonrowe, Jeff King,
Martin Buser, 1 rookie and ???  ( I missed it)

Most all racers made it into Skwentna - the first checkpoint.
The snow was soft and punchy making it an easy run.  The
first 200 miles of the race are spent jockying for position
and a sorting out process with the more experiences drivers moving to the
front and the less experiences in the back.  Dee Jonrowe moved
from 24th position to 3rd.  For some racers the victory is
winning and for others it is just getting to Nome.

This year's race changes made the run to Skwentna a day race
rather than a night race which the mushers likes.  A hot
meal was provided in Skwentna.

The final sorting out happens along the coast as the racers
reach the final checkpoints.

The juneau school librarians are putting together a bibliography
which we will put out on LM_NET

however, here's a preview

Dolan, Ellen M., Susan Butcher and the Iditarod Trail,
Walker, 1993, isbn 0-8027-8211-6 (cloth)
0-8027-8212-4 (Reinforced)

I'll get your the information onthe purse

And for anyone who doesn't want to wait -

you can call 907-277-1500, ext. 2029  and get updates
by listening to Alaska Public Radio latest recording.

Also APRN sells transcripts of their tapes (which is what
I listened to this morning) by calling 907-277-APRN.

That's it for this morning.  More later.

LM_NET Archive Home