This is very timely... our high school is considering going to a 4 period
day...advantages.. students could take academic and vocational classes
whereas now the students must choose between the two curriculums.  I
think this is great as we know many highly educated people who would have
beneifitted by some vocational classes.  Then we all know of students who
have gone on to higher education after maturing.  The minuses...we as
teachers wonder about keeping the attention of the masses for the
extended period.  I would love to hear from people who have experienced
this or just have strong opinions one way or the other.  We have visited
Renolds High School in Ashville, NC.  This high school seems to really
think the 4 hour period is great for their students and teachers.  Anyone
have anything to say?

Catherine cunningham
Unicoi County High School
Erwin,TN  37650

On Mon, 14 Mar 1994, Peter Milbury wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
>    Our assistant principal has asked me to pose the following question,
> to aid our restructuring planning committee:
>
>    Have any high schools  who have changed their classes to a block
> schedule (i.e., 100 minute periods) found it to be especially
> beneficial?  We would appreciate hearing of your teachers' experiences.
>
>    At Pleasant Valley High we are about to experiment for two weeks, with
> classes meeting half as often, but for twice as long.  We are also adding
> a tutorial period, during which the teachers will hold "office hours" to
> assist students.  Our objective is to reduce the number of student
> contacts during any given day, so that the quality of the relationship
> and instruction can be improved.
>
>    Please respond directly to me, and I'll share them with the group.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Peter
> Peter G. Milbury        Library Media Teacher / Mentor Teacher
> Co-owner of LM_NET:  The School Library Media Discussion Group
> pmilbur@eis.calstate.edu       ~       Voice/Fax: 916-891-3060
> Pleasant Valley High School, 1475 East Avenue, Chico, CA 95926

LM_NET Archive Home