Re the question about an information literacy curriculum for classroom
teachers, I'm normally reluctant to put my own work forward (on LM_NET
that is) - but .... da Big Six works real well with classroom teachers.

For example, 2 weeks ago I "modeled" teaching the Big Six with K - 8
classes in the Cambridge (Mass) schools.  In almost every case, the
classroom teachers saw how easy it was to integrate information skills
with their own lessons and assignments.  In fact, one teacher went back
to the classroom and worked on a personal information problem suggested
by a parent -->

"If you were going to a birthday party and had $10 to spend on a gift,
what would you get?"

She then went through this with the Big Six --
task definition
information seeking strategies
location and access
information use
synthesis
evaluation.

Later she commented, "they got it! They really understand the process."

The point is, you don't need an elaborate curriculum scope and sequence
to begin with.  Use the big six (and little 12) framework and go from there!

Maybe the Cambridge folks, Bob Berkowitz, and others can expand on these
ideas.

LM_NET Archive Home