Dear Netters,

Many thanks to all of you who responded to me and to the "net regarding
my question on the librarian as a censor. I have forwarded your letters
to her. She was very impressed and thankful for the number of
constructive letters. She has decided to let the kids take out what they
want.

I will summarize the answers here. The original question follows the summary.

Most of the respondents sided with the teachers stating that the
librarian should not limit even the young reader's choices. Although
most were hesitant to use the word "censor" as being too strong of a
word for this situation in that the librarian probably was misguided
rather than malicious and simply needed a refresher on the ALA Library
Bill of Rights. Surprise was expressed that it was the _librarian_ doing
the limiting, not the _teachers_ as seems to be more often the case.

Many offered
the advice to let the kids take out two items, one which they can read
and one of their choice regardless of reading ability. This was further
supported with these arguements: there may be someone at home to read to
the child, the child may take pleasure in simply being with the
difficult book, the child may not be interested in fiction (as most of
the "easy" books are fiction), the child may prefer to "read" the
pictures, and the librarian may not really know the child's reading level.

Some retold personal stories regarding bad experiences with librarians
not letting them check out desired materials. Maybe the world is a better
place now because you are now librarians helping instead of hindering
intellectual freedom :-) (my own personal opinion). There were a few who
used the example of "how would you feel if you could only use certain
areas in the public library?" I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with that
approach. After all, how many of us go into libraries where there is a
separate children's section or even a separate room? (This is a can of
worms perhaps better left to another listserv.)

Finally there was the gentle reminder to the librarian not only of the
ALA Bill of Rights but also that she refer to the "E" section as an
"everyone" section so as to not embarrass or inhibit the older children who
wish to check out those items.

Again, many thanks to those who responded. You have proved once again
what a powerful resource LM_NET is.

Sincerely,
Allison G. Kaplan
Education Resource Center