This is a fairly long document but I think its important so
please excuse the length.

The Pennslyvania School Library Association met last week.  I
attended a workshop which was run by Joyce Kendall, Shelley
Lockhead, and Jackie Mancall.  It was excellent.  And it got me
thinking.  Shelley takes various files from internet and puts
them on her network.  She uses an Apple network.  What a terrific
idea!  Heres my thoughts and questions which I hope someone can
answer.

When I look at my email all the messages start like this:

>From:    MX%"KIDSPHERE@vms.cis.pitt.edu"  8-APR-1994 09:22:00.38
>To: MX%"kidsphere@vms.cis.pitt.edu"
>CC:
>Subj:    White House summary correct

>Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 08:50:18 EDT
>Subject: White House summary correct
>To: KIDSPHERE Subscribers <kidsphere@vms.cis.pitt.edu>
>
>Date: Fri, 08 Apr 1994 05:35:41 -0600
>From: Eric Gibson <Eric_Gibson@ATK.COM>
>Subject: White House summary correct

IDEA ONE
I call the above the header.  When I download my email onto my
hard drive, all the messages are in a single file.  I would like
a program that would automate the sorting of the single, main
file by the header information.  For example:  All the LM_NET
messages that are downloaded would be put in a file that I could
name by LM_NET and the date.  Kidsphere would go in a kidsphere
file KIDSPHERE and the date.

IDEA TWO
These files which are automatically sorted could then be included
in the library network.  I have in mind several listservs that I
might subscribe to if I could include them in the network.  I
realize I would have to check regarding copywrite.  Right now I
am concerned with getting a program that would make this project
feisable.   Here's what I have in mind.  I would have my present
menu call up a program which is also a menu.  On this second menu
would be catagories by subject matter.  One would call up a
subject and then the program would list another submenu.  For
example:  Main menu would list a catagory called Internet
articles.  Internet articles would list  English, Social Studies,
Geography etc.  Social Studies would include:  Radio Free Europe
and White House Releases.  When you called up Radio Free Europe
it would list the files by date.  Then you would call up the date
and it would scroll the articles that had that heading which was
automatically sorted.  This is very similiar to menus I've seen
on various gophers.

QUESTIONS

Do you know of any such programs?  If Yes what?  If Yes what is
the cost?

If you don't know of any would you be interested in one or both?
If yes how much would you be willing to pay?

I know some programmers who might be willing to tackle both of
these if they thought it would be sellable.

What do you think?

Janet Johns
email  bbvschlib@hslc.org

LM_NET Archive Home