To anyone still interested in Windows Security directions:
   I finally found a place to transfer the document where it can be
accessed by anyone who has access to ftp ("file transfer protocol").  If
you have an Internet account, it probably includes this feature.  If
you've already sent me a self-addressed envelope, well, look at it this
way:  The hardcopy I send you is nicely formatted with alternate-font
section headings, and has numbered pages which are indexed by the table
of contents, for quick reference.  "Value-added", as they say.  I will
continue to send hardcopy to anyone who wants to send me a self-addressed
envelope (9" x 12", please) and $1 to help defray copying and postage
costs.  But here's how to get it for free (barring online connect and
telephone charges) and without having to wait:
        1.  Go to the ftp prompt (however you do that on your Internet
host) and type:  open ctp.org .
        2.  When prompted for login name, type:  anonymous .
        3.  When prompted for password, type your username.
        4.  Type:  cd \deposit .
        5.  Confirm that you are in that directory by typing the "present
working directory" command:  pwd .
        6.  Confirm that the file "winsecur.txt" is in that directory by
typing the "list files" command:  ls .  The files seem to be listed
automatically in alphabetical order, so don't worry about some of the
early ones scrolling off the screen.
        7.  Type: get \deposit\winsecur.txt .  The general jist of the
computerese which comes on your screen should indicate that the "PORT"
"command" was "successful", and that a file was transferred.  It won't
have taken more than a few seconds at most.
        8.  Type:  quit .
   Now the file has been transferred to your 'home' directory on whatever
Internet server you normally log on to (and are still logged on to).
Depending on whether or not you access the Internet over modem (as I do)
or over a direct network connection from a computer at work, you may (if
by modem) need to do a download from your Internet home directory to your
local machine, to get it on your own disk and/or print it.  The file is a
little over 37K, and at 9600 bps took me about twenty minutes.
   If all you've ever done on the Internet is email (as I had until
forced to make the time to at least learn this little bit of ftp), you
may not even know the full pathname of your "home" directory...but a
little experimenting with menus and such should soon reveal it to you.
   Just think how good you'll feel about having successfully retrieved your
first file from a remote machine with ftp; hey, now you can get anything
publically available on any Internet server in the _world_.
   And think how smug you'll feel when you overhear all your mischievous
Windows hackers, accustomed to (inadvertently or not) scrambling your Windows
installation weekly when you weren't looking, whispering in awe to each
other, "Yeah, how'd she[/he] _do_ that, anyway?  I didn't think she[/he]
knew _that_ much about computers!"

        Steve Grant, Library Media Teacher
        La Jolla High School
        750 Nautilus Street