Marilyn (et. al.),
   I teach our seniors (when I can get their English or other teachers to
devote a period to this and bring them in) how to use the University of
California at San Diego's online catalog by going online as the class
watches (LCD panel with overhead and portable projection screen; long
phone line extension trailing across the floor from a phone jack to the
computer out in the middle of the teaching area where the computer has
been rolled out next to the overhead).  UCSD publishes the phone number
and modem settings to allow dialup connection to their online catalog;
it's the same interface you see when using it at one of the terminals in
their on-campus library.
   We do various searches as a whole group, and I have time to help them
interpret and understand the screen displays and LC subject headings and
call numbers.  I point out that they can print useful-sounding book/etc.
records right here in our LMC, and spend the time and money (parking!) to
drive to UCSD knowing there's something there that sounds useful; when
they walk in the door of the university library, they have in their hand
call numbers and titles, so they can go right to the shelves.
   This is also useful for finding periodical articles listed in
_Reader's Guide_ (etc.) which we don't have available in our back issues
in the high school LMC.  A title search on a magazine/newspaper article
in UCSD's online catalog will show their holdings for that periodical.
   Even if it costs (non-local call) to connect to your nearest college
or university online catalog, it might be worth it as a "live" way to
demonstrate higher-education, Library of Congress-based online catalog
searching for you.  I'd give you UCSD's number, but I don't think you
want to be online to San Diego, California from New England!
   Actually, if you can find a path to "Melvyl" via your Internet
connection, that might prove almost as useful.  Melvyl is the union
catalog for all the University of California and California State
University (state college) library collections.  It's daunting, but might
work for you if you can't work something out more locally.

        Steve Grant, Library Media Teacher
        La Jolla High School (619) 454-3081 x228
        sgrant@ctp.org

On Mon, 25 Apr 1994, Marilyn McCluskey wrote:

> Hi all you LM_NETTERS,
> I am new to this group and have really enjoyed reading all the info.  I
> have a request of all of you.  My high school library is Dewey Decimal
> but I have an English teacher who wants to do a unit with his college
> bound seniors on using Library of Congress cataloging.  Can anyone
> suggest any resources or ideas that we might use to develop a unit?  If
> you send your replies to me I will post a HIT.  Thank you all for your help.
>
> Marilyn McCluskey
> York High School
> York, NE 68467
> mmcclusk@esu6.esu6.k12.ne.us