In message <9405070626@boombox.micro.umn.edu> RICHARD LEE HOLBERT writes:
>  I am not quite sure I understand your question. Everyone on this list is
> directly accessing the Internet.

Actually, I think very few people on the list have direct access.  There
are many slightly different ways of accessing the Internet, but
they can be divided into three main methods of access.  I'll oversimplify:

Direct Connection:
  Your computer is connected directly to a network wire, so as soon
  as you turn it on you have full access to the Internet.  This type
  of connection will give you access to all Internet services typically
  at a relatively fast speed.

Dial-in Network Access
  You use a network communication program (MacSLIP, InterSlip, Apple ARA) to
  connect to SLIP/ARA/PPP or similar service.  This type of connection will
  give you access to all Internet services but at a relatively slow speed.

Dial-in Terminal Emulation
  You dial into another computer via a phone & modem using some
  communications program (Procomm, ZTerm, BitCom, Microphone, etc).
  You are actually using another host for your network access and
  not connecting your computer, per se, to the Internet.  This type
  of connection gives you access to only a small subset of the
  Internet services.

Stephen E. Collins   http://www.micro.umn.edu/SEC.html
University of Minnesota      sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu
Distributed Computing Services          (612) 625-1300

"It's easy to come up with new ideas; the hard part is letting
go of what will soon be out-of-date."  -Roger von Oech

LM_NET Archive Home