The other day a request came over the LM_NET for quotations that could be
used by a speaker at the graduation ceremony for an alternative high
school. At first I wasn't going to respond at all because you can't take
time to respond to everything, but the more I thought about the comments
made by this potential speaker the hotter under the collar I got.  With
this speakers attitude the best thing they could do for the graduates and
their families is to DECLINE THE INVITATION to speak.  Yes, these students
are graduating from an alternative high school.  That doesn't mean they
deserve some second class graduation address.  Yes, these students have had
problems or difficulties, but they have met graduation requirements.  One
of my best friends has a child in an alternative high school.  My friend
has three children, two of her children have graduated from college.  She
is pleased to have found a high school her daughter will attend and her
daughter is now getting very good grades.  The student was never in trouble
with the law, she is just very stubborn and the schedule at the alternative
school is one she will cooperate with.  When this child graduates, her
mother and her family will be so proud and happy. They will breath a sigh
of relief that at least this child has finished high school.  That's the
point these students have had problems and they have brought heart ache to
themselves their families.  Graduation is as much for the families and
parents as it is for the students.  Families and parents want their
children to go on to lead successful. happy, and productive lives.  No one
wants their child to be a criminal and be incarcerated.  So with your
attitude please do everyone a favor and decline the invitation.

Kathy Geronzin,
Jr.-Sr. High School Librarian,
Northeast Communit School District
Goose Lake, IA 52750

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." Abraham
Lincoln

LM_NET Archive Home