Here at last are the long-awaited ratings from the SE Pennslyvania
Library Book Reviewers, a group of about 20 librarians who receive new
books from publishers and review them monthly.  The following list represents
two months' worth of the titles we rated either good or excellent.
Rating system: Title, author, and publisher are followed by
Q (quality rating)  :  5--excellent, award-winning calibre
                       4--good
                       3--average
                       2--marginal
                       1--not recommended
I (interest rating):  based on *grade* level
R (reading level): also based on grade level

Please give me feedback on this.  Is it valuable?  Should I do it monthly?
(I'm willing to if people find it useful).  Would you also want the books
rated 3, 2, 1?
(Due to my presence on a Search Committee, I have missed the last two
meetings.  From now on, however, the descriptions of the books will be
a bit more revealing).

Here goes:

Avi, *Captain Grey*, Morrow   Q=4-  I=3-7    R=6  Historical fiction
Rader, Laura  *Mother Hubbard's Cupboard*  Morrow
          Q=4-   I=Prek-2  R= poetry, no level given  split pages
Lakin, Patricia  *The palace of stars*  Morrow
  Q=4+  I=k-4  R=3        girl and uncle
Hurwitz, Johanna  *Make room for Elisa*  Morrow
  Q=5    I=k-4  R=7  delightful
Carroll, Lewis  *Alice's adventures in wonderland & through..*  Morrow
  Q=4  I=3up  R=6  beautiful boxed set
Ddygard, Thomas J.  *Game plan*  Morrow
  Q= 4  I=5-8  R=7   coach
Crews, Donald  *Freight train*  Morrow
  Q=4+  I=Prek-1  R=1   Big Book
Fleming, Virginia  *Be good to Eddie Lee*  P&G
  Q=4  I=k-4  R=2   Downs syndrome child
Deneduce, A.K. (Swift, Jonathan)  *Gulliver's adventures in Lilliput* P&G
  Q=4- I=1-4 R=3
McCully, Emily Arnold *The amazing Felix* P&G
  Q=4+ I=1-4  R=4
Polacco, Patricia  *Babushka Baba Yaga*  P&G
     Q= 4-   I=1-4  R=6
Coerr, Eleanor   *Sadako*  P&G   Q=5  I=2-6 R=3
Bruchac, Joseph  *Fox song*  P&G
    Q= 4  I=k-4  R=3   Indian grandmother
Soto, Gary  *Too many tamales*  P&G   Q= 4  I=k-2  R=2
Ong, Cristina  *The little engine that could:let's sing ABC*  P&G
   Q=4  I=2-4  R=3
Seiger, Barbara  *Seeing Stars: a bk & poster about constellations* P&G
     Q=4  I=4-12  R=4
Martin, Rafe  *Will's mammoth*  P&G  Q=4  I=prek-3  R=3
DePaola, Tomie  *La Leyenda del Pincel Indio*  P&G
    Q=4  I=k-4  R=3   Indian paintbrush
O'Rourke, Page  *See and say: bk or first words board bk*    P&G
    Q=4-  I=Prek-1  R=1
Paterson, Bettina  *Potty time*  P&G  Q=4-  I=Prek-1  R=1
O'Connor, Jane  *Corrie's secret Pal*  P&G   Q=4  I=3-4  R=3
O'Connor, Jane  *Make up your mind, Marsha!*   Q=4  I=3-4  R=3
Heller, Ruth  *Up, up, and away*  P&G
    Q=4  I= 3-6   R=4     adverbs
Malfatti, Patrizia  *Look around the city board bk*  P&G
      Q=4  I=k-5  R=2-3
Shecter, Ben  *When will the snow trees grow?*  Harper
     Q=5  I=prek-2  R=2  boy and bear
DeRegniers, Beatrice  *Going for a walk*  Harper
     Q=4   I=Prek-1   R=1     '60s reprint
Child, Lydia Maria  *Over the river and through the wood*  Harper
    Q=4  I=k-3   R=1
Moser, Barry  *Fly! Brief history of flight*  Haarper
   Q=4  I=5up  R=10     magnificent book
Thomas, Joyce carol  *Brown honey in broomwheat tea*  Harper
   Q=5  I=1-8  R=2
Martinet, Jeanne  *1986 the year you were born*  Morrow
    Q=4  I=2-3  R=varies
Emberley, Rebecca  *My day  mi dia*  Little Brown
   Q=4-  I=all  R=2       2 langs.
Emberley, Rebecca  *Let's go  vamos*  Little Brown
    Q=4-  I=2-5  R=2
Allison, Linda  *Wordsaroni: word play for you & yr preschooler*  Little
    Q=4+  I=Prek-4  R=4
Allison, Linda  *Eenie meenie miney math*  Little Brown
   Q=4-  I=Prek  R=4    both titles:   fun things for parents & kids
Snow, Alan  *How dogs really work*  Little Brown
    Q=4  I=all R=6
Gibbons, Gail  *Pirates, robbers of the high seas*  Little brown
   Q=4  I=k-5  R=3
Johnson, James Weldon  *The creation*  Little Brown
   Q=4+  I=Prek up         bold art
Breathed, Berkeley   *Goodnight opus*  Little Brown
   Q=4-  I=2-6  R=verse
Knutson, Barbara   *Sungara and Leopard;Swahili trickster tale*  Little
   Q=4  I=k-3  R=3
Sanderson, Ruth  *12 dancing princesses*  Little Brown
   Q=4  I=2-5  R=6
Rattigan, Jama Kim  *Dumpling soup*  Little Brown
   Q=4+  I=3up  R=3    girl's diverse cultural background

Wow!  I will break this up into several    sections!
Wendy Waloff
frdschlib@hslc.org

LM_NET Archive Home