Sorry for the jumpiness of this hit -- I'm not very good at
transferring files back and forth yet. However, since this
still seems to be a hot topic, I didn't want you all to wait
for my learning curve to disappear.

Sandy Parks
Harrisonburg High School
Harrisonburg, VA
sparks@vdoe386.vak12ed.edu

 We have been using Comptons for several years.  Very limited
information but easy to travel through and copy info from.  I
do not
remember installation procedure, but most walk you through
quite   well.
We have been using Encarta for a short while.  I have not
figured out
printing procedure yet, but information, motion and sound are
wonderful.
Children reaaly seem to enjoy traveling through the pages.
Information
finder has just arrived and I have not had time to install
yet.  I only
have two CD Roms in my library and each has an encyclopedia.
I'll let
you know later about Infomation Finder.  Between Comptons and
Encarta, if
I had to make a choice, I would have to choose Encarta.  So
much more and
so visually attractive, but valuable for info also.  My school
is K-5.
Mostly 3rd through 5th have used Encarta.  Bye.
Mary  Bryan
mebryan@tenet.edu

We are running the networked version of InfoFinder on 5
networks & it
runs beautifully.  Of course, it is the MS-DOS, text-based
version.  In
order to network the multimedia variety, the video must be
disabled.

Julie A. Walker                         District Media Center
Director, Library & Media Services      13401 Pond Springs Rd.
Round Rock ISD                          Austin, TX  78729
jawalker@tenet.edu 512-331-6697/512-331-1811 (FAX)

Hi Sandra,

Info finder is GREAT. Networks very easily with NO problems. I
have an
early version of Compton's. Anything with video WILL NOT
network unless
you have one CD for each station that might access it. And that
defeats
the purpose of networking.

Windows on networks is a little iffy, too. Best way to set it
up is with
hard drives on each workstation. Since Encarta requires Windows
and is
multimedia we have stayed away from it. I'm sure compton's
would pose the
same problems.
Gloria McClanahan               Librarian
McNeil High School              Round Rock ISD
Austin Texas                    mcclan@tenet.edu

Compton's is owned by Josten's Learning Corporation. They are
very hard
to work with. If Compt9on's now is the same as our version, it
does
not allow for much printing. I don't think Encarta is
networkaboe, but I
am not sure. Can you get Groliers to invoice you and send the
product when
it is done? or is it truly vaporware? Judy Listrom
MOPKHLM@delphi.com

We found the Compton's to be too simple for upper school
students and are
much happier with the Information Finder.  Kids like it too,
and the
older students don't miss the sound or videos of the
Compton's.  We find
more information in more depth, which makes them happy
searchers.
Margaret Tabar, Breck School, Mpls. MN

LM_NET Archive Home