Dear Mike,
   From what I understand a tower is just a stack of CD Players
with the connecting wires hidden.  I have 10 CDROMS in two
towers.  I can't tell any difference in time between 4 CD or 10
CD.  I think that the critical part is the speed of the CD
players.  All of my players are Hitachi.  Four of them are double
speed.  I have 8 running off of one card and 2 running off
another card.  Both are on the same server.  Like I said speed
was not effected by adding the second CD card.
Hope this helps

Janet Johns
bbvschlib@hslc.org

p.s. -

 I run Lantasti.  But the speed on Lantasti is limited by DOS and
the speed of the CD Players.

> Mike...can I bend your ear a bit...as long as you are talking about
> cd-roms...maybe you can advise me....

==================================

Don Shields
0006514431@mcimail.com

Dear Roselle,
Sounds like you've gotten yourself in the soup! Let's see if we can straighten s
 ome of this
out.
I have worked in Novell as a consultant and installer for 12 years and have work
 ed for our
local school district part time for not quite a year. It always suprises me when
  the same
misconseptions keep poping up.

#1 All CD-ROM's are inherently multi-user! (That's right- they lied to you) CD-R
 OMs are
Read-Only Media, you may have to install the loader software for each terminal,
 but the
data on the disk can be used by all stations. All Windows MPC software has to ha
 ve
individual loaders any way so you actually gain nothing by buying the so called
 multiuser
versions. However, (and Mike may be more responsive to this question) you do hav
 e the
moral/legal question of site licences to deal with. You may want to purchase ext
 ra copies
from a wholesaler for just the licence. This is probably the reason that Grolier
 s wants you
to buy a multi-user version as it includes their licence fee for every terminal.
#2 The upgrade to a full server may or may not be your best course. Yes, you can
  use
Hitachi's on the network if you can get the ASPI drivers for them, contact Hitac
 hi
directly. Because the Hitachi's use a special card for disk interface you may ha
 ve trouble
having them server based.

(Fastest access) But you could load in another workstation and use a TSR progam
 to access
the drives(slower). Obviously if you keep the Hitachi's you have not beneifted f
 rom the
move up to the server. We recomend the Toshiba 3401 doubble speed drives if you
 do upgrade.

        I think it is entirely possible you can run Groliers from your current s
 ystem i
you are  running Windows currently and the speed is satisfatory. But thoes ROM d
 rives you
have are Slooow! and although the motion picture will run it will be very slow.
 BTW the
pictures are a very small part of the program. If you are not running Windows cu
 rrently on
your system and are not familiar the network aspects of windows you might want t
 o contact a
consultant in your area.

Sincerely,

Don Shields