Susan,
We are a medium-sized library in a suburb of 38,000 north of Chicago.
Because of the quirky political situation in Illinois, we serve a number
of school districts.  One of them is the major elementary school district
(Glenview Consolidated District 34), and we have been connected to them
electronically for about two years.  In the past six months, we have
improved this connection from a uucp telephone link to a 4MB WAN using
the village's institutional CATV network (provided by TCI).  We share
a connection to the Internet with Dist. 34 through this WAN.

Our librarians have easy e-mail communications with the librarians and
faculty at Dist. 34 and vice versa.  We can also access their catalogs
and they can access ours (so can you, by the way, since they are on
the Internet).  We have had some discussions with the school
administration about sharing facilities, but we do not as yet have any
concrete plans to do that.

It has been a great relationship, beneficial for all.  The staff at 34,
particularly the administrative computer services guy, John Mundt, have
been very helpful.  The bottom line is that we are better able to
respond to the needs of 34's students, and can draw on the district's
expertise to help us plan.

John Blegen, Director, Glenview Public Library, Glenview, IL.