The controversy about Little Tree came about after his death, when it
was learned he lied about his name and the book being a biography.  His
name was Asa Carter and he was a white racist.  New York Times, Time
and Newsweek all carried articles about this in 1991.  I have Publishers
Weekly, Oct. 25, 1991, Page 16, which gives a good background on the
controversy.  Also see Newsweek, October 14, 1991, Page 62.  I'm not
sure about the other two, but near that time.  Judie Porter, Portsmouth
Schools, Rhode Island (Judiepr@dsl.rhilinet.gov)

LM_NET Archive Home