From: Susan Weiss <sweiss@cks.ssd.k12.wa.us>
I am in the process of designing a new high school library and this issue
was brought up.  The King County Library System and another local school
district discussed the issues involved for two years before concluding
that there were too many complications to make it work.
Sue Weiss
Ballard HS
Seattle, WA 98117
(206) 281-6010

From: Michelle Larose <mlarose@MINET.gov.MB.CA>
To: Central MA Regional Library System <cmrls@WORLD.STD.COM>
Dear Carolyn,
        You might consider the following points:
- who are the clients of either libraries?
- What kinds of books do they want?
- Can you provide all the leisure reading adults would like while having a
high school population using the books?  Ie: Censorship.  Since this is a
secondary level, I think it is easier, but what is secondary? Does it
start in gr. 8 or 10 or what?
- Can you meet the curriculum needs of the teachers? School and public
collections differ greatly.
- Who provides budget for books?  What if one year the town decides they
are short of money, does the school have to provide for both collections,
and vice-versa.
Good Luck,
Michelle Larose-Kuzenko
Sun Valley Elementary
Winnipeg, Manitoba

From: Evelyn Wood <ewood@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Hello Carolyn,
I am a school librarian in a facility shared with our small town's public
library. This arrangement existed long before my time and has worked well
in the four years i've been here. Actually I feel our students gain more
benefit from this arrangement than do the public library patrons! One
reason is that the public library is one of 22 public libraries in the
system and we have access to all books in this system - I believe, over
half a million volumes. (The school library has a collection of about
5000.) We can access the public library catalogue, order books we need,
and have them delivered by the public library courier. Second, I can use
my budget more effectively if i know the public library has resources we
can use. For example, I have not had to buy fiction for senior students
becuase the public library carries the majority of titles senior students
want to read. Third, longer library hours means students have better
access to the library. I work from 8-3 and the public librarian comes in
at 3 and works until 8.
My work with teachers to expand library use by students has resulted in
situations where this small facility does not have enough space to meet
our needs. Also the public library staff want to introduce preschool
programs during the day. All of this has prompted discussion about
building a facility which can accommodate a diversity of needs,
including space for a bank of computers, CD-ROM players etc.
The director of the public library system has indicated that the only
reason the public library would consider continuing this relationship is
that the public librarian and I have worked well together. I concur. I
feel that there has to be a good working relationship between the two
librarians. Even though we don't do any work for each other beyond
signing out each other's books, the nature of the relationship needs to
be defined from the outset. She also indicated that the agreement between
another public library and school library will be terminated and the
public library will relocated because the school "took advantage" of the
public library - doing such things as not signing out books, losing
materials, and regarding the public libraian as being inferior because
she does not have the same amount of training. (Seems to me like there
might be a clash that cannot be resolved.)
As discussions are continuing about our lack of space, we do have the
option of asking the public library to leave. However, if agreement can
be reached between the various bodies involved - town council, school
board, and the public library board - about financing a new facility, I
think that the current arrangement will be continued.
Hope this helps! If I can be of further help, let me know.
Evelyn Wood
Agassiz Secondary School
Agassiz, B.C.
Canada

From: "Elaine R. Ezell" <eezell@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
A close friend just left a district that used the public library; the
school district helped fund the library.  They found this was not a good
arrangement and separated.  The public library had a different
philosophy.  The school library tends to support the curriculum and the
needs of the students and faculty including learning styles, etc.  The
public library tends to support more popular topics and trendy purchases.
Also, even being close (within walking distance) does not lend itself to
going down the hall to do research by one student or a class; the
materials are not readily available.

Adults in public libraries are not always tolerant of groups of school
children, teachers trying to instruct, group work etc.
Good luck.  We like having our own libraries and yet the public library
is within walking distance.  They welcome our students after school and
work with us on class visits, putting materials on reserve, etc.  We
cannot supply everything and neither can they.
Elaine Ezell
Bowling Green, Ohio
eezell@bgnet.bgsu.edu

From: acarver@beaufort.sc.fred.org
To: cmrls@world.std.com
We have two (2) joint school/public library operations in our district.
Both of these are located in rural elementary schools.  Please contact me
if you wish information.
                                        Anne Carver
<acarver@beaufort.sc.fred.org> ---------------- 32.25.53N, 080.40.12W
Anne W. Carver                  Supervisor of Educational Technology
Beaufort County School District P.O. Drawer 309
Beaufort, SC  29901-0309        803/525-4200 x2343 or 803/521-2343

LM_NET Archive Home