Thanks to all to responded.  I am still getting an occasional lead, but I
want to go ahead and share what we have so far.

Three actual projects were suggested:

1.  Students redecorate their bedrooms.  they must have catalogs and sale
    papers from the library or home and then they must figure the paint,
    carpet, etc, and must work on a budget.--Dianne Anderson.

2.  Math department in a school devised a huge (approx 26 part) formula
    each part of which required the students to do some research.  Looked
    something like:
                    a+b
                   -----  x  d(e-f) and so on.
    a might equal the zipcode for Worcester MA minus the zipcode for
    someplace else.
    b might be the area code for Washington DC
    c might be the number of letters in the name of the person who
    painted the Mona Lisa  etc.

     The Math department provided no more that three variables, the kids
     worked in teams, and many departments were involved--Linda Greengrass

3.  Sixth graders researched careers and how math might be used in the
    career of choice.  Then they had to design a book cover, within
    specific dimensions.  Lower level students could design a poster
    --Barbara Goldstein

Sources that were suggested included:

Brandeis Math Gopher - gopher rsp.math.brandeis.edu
1994 Fall Creative Publications Catalog
Any books by Marilyn Burns.
Educational Oasis (periodical)

Once again, thanks to all respondents.  I will post a second time if I
receive other suggestions.

Marcy A. Porter, Librarian
League City Intermediate School
mpor@tenet.edu