Dear LM_NET Colleagues,

  Recently LM_NET has had a spate of unauthorized commercial intrusions
into the community.  We (LM_NET Hospitality Committee, plus Mike and
myself) want to set the record straight by saying that we strongly
discourage such abuse of our discussion group.  Our Hospitality Committee
is in consensus on the matter, and feels quite strongly that we do not
want commercials appearing on LM_NET, and we do not want commercial use
made of our communications.  We have posted our LM_NET Etiquette in this
regard.

  In one case, an author of a book signed on to LM_NET, posted  his
commercial message, and then signed-off right away.  The following
information relates to the person and title in question.

>From: "Zane Berge, Ph.D."    BERGE@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu
COMPUTER-MEDIATED COMMUNCATION AND THE ONLINE CLASSROOM
Hampton Press, Inc., 23 Broadway, Cresskill,
New Jersey, 07626 USA   Voice: 201-894-1686    FAX: 201-894-8732

  Please be aware that in NO way did the owners of LM_NET condone or
encourage his actions. We have no knowledge of the quality of his book,
and in no way endorse the book.  If you have any thoughts on the matter
or the book, we urge you to contact the author or publisher directly.

  In another case an LM_NET member notified me that she had been
contacted by two different vendor representatives who had seen her
posting about a CD-ROM Hit--> she had posted.  The member was not
interested, in either case.  (Another LM_NET member earlier reported a
similar call from the same company's representative.)

  Please let us know if this has happened to you, or share your thoughts
with the group, and we will work within our Hospitality Committee to
develop a strategy of dealing with such intrusions which reflects your
feelings about such use of LM_NET.

Peter Milbury and Mike Eisenberg, LM_NET Co-owners

Best wishes,

Peter          PMILBURY@ERICIR.SYR.EDU
Peter Milbury, Library Media Teacher/Mentor Teacher/TeleMentor .............
Pleasant Valley High School, Chico, California 95926     Voice: 916-891-3060
Co-owner of LM_NET:  Discussion Group for School Library Media Professionals
    Connecting Over 2,600 School Library Media Professionals Worldwide

LM_NET Archive Home