> Dear "Netters"
>
> I have a very inventive senior English teacher who is taking the approach
> that perhaps O.J. Simpson is a modern Othello for her academic
> students.  An interesting approach to teaching Shakespeare, I thought.  We
> have discussed this and now I have two questions for you:
>         1.  Can you think of modern fictional characters who would be
>         considered "tragic heroes?"

Yes!!

I remember studying about the Initiation Theme (Great Expectations) and
the Tragic Hero Theme (I forget which book, see how much I learned  :) )

anyway, a bunch of us sat around at lunch one day and decided that Luke
Skywalker went through the steps of an Initiation, and that Darth Vader
was a tragic hero.

Our teacher was impressed, but she didn't give us credit for it.  Darn.

Hope this helps.

Sara
Swolf@nova.wright.edu

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kathy Keck  kkeck@ideanet.doe.state.in.us
> Crawfordsville High School
> One Athenian Drive
> Crawfordsville, IN  47933    317-362-2340

LM_NET Archive Home