> good password protection feature when students boot to the shell.  Is there
> any similar protection for the Windows interface?

    Ah yes... the hazards of Windows users who mess with the settings and
screw everything up. Here's a few tips I used at a juvenile prison to
keep the little hackers under control:

    Invoke the DOS editor (type edit at the C prompt) and call up PROGMAN.INI
from the Windows directory. Look for a section called [Restrictions].
If it doesn't exist create it (always leave at least one blank line between
sections).

   Now type these lines in the Restriction section:

NoFileMenu=1     (users can't access the File option)

EditLevel=4      (users can't delete, create, or change any of
                  the group or item icons)

NoSaveSettings=1   (users can change colors schemes but originals
                    revert after exiting Windows)

NoRun=1          (use this one instead of NoFileMenu=1 if you
                  just want to disable the Run feature only)

NoClose=1        (users can't exit Windows to Dos.... they can
                  only use the DOS icons and then return to
                  Windows... they may reboot, but that will still
                  return them to Windows if you designate that
                  feature in Autoexec.bat)

     To change back to old values just go back into the editor and place
a semicolon in front of each restriction entry. The semicolon has the same
function for Windows configuration files as the rem command does for Dos files.

     There is a shareware program that does the same things (and more tips).
It's called SecureGroups and it's available on the Internet at ftp site
ftp.cica.indiana.edu   (/pub/pc/win3/desktop/secgrp11.zip)

     Microsoft also has an official guide that explains how to do all these
things called the Microsoft Windows Resource Kit. It costs $25 for a nice
manual and floppy utilities (1-800-426-9400). It's the official textbook
for their employees and they are tested over it to become certified
Windows experts.

     It's also on the Net at cica (minus the floppy utilities). The file is
called wrk_doc.exe and it's under this directory path:
/pub/pc/win3/wrk_doc.exe.
It's about 877 KB zipped and extracts to 5.2 MB. It's in Microsoft Word
format (about 550 pages).

Later,

Russell Smith  rssmith@tenet.edu       Home Phone 915-235-1228
Technology Consultant                  Home Fax   915-235-0633
Region XIV Education Service Center    Work Phone 915-675-8600
Abilene, Texas 79601                   Work Fax   915-675-8659

LM_NET Archive Home