I agree with the necessity of doing an annual inventory.  And since you
have no security system, you need an inventory all the more.  The figures
can prove that a security system would be paid for in a very few years
because of cutting down on book loss.  The year before we got our
security system, we were losing 300+ books.  The first year after we got
it, our book loss was 25!

On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, Anna Watkins wrote:

> I do an inventory because we have no security system and LOTS of
> materials walk every year.  It gives me the data I need to request more
> money for replacement materials -- I also know what I need to replace.
>
> Of course, if we weren't automated I would hate it.  But we are, and
> inventory is easy, relatively quick, and thorough. The portable scanner
> is a wonderful invention!
>
> Our barcodes are on the back of the book, upper right corner,
> horizontal.  That way the fronts of the books are not affected,
> yet scanning is easy -- tilt the
> book forward with the right hand and swipe the barcode with the left.
>
> You never know when you might be asked for an inventory ...
>
> Anna Watkins
> Paideia School
> Atlanta, GA

LM_NET Archive Home