On Fri, 11 Nov 1994, Linda Pierce wrote:

> One of our English teachers plans to use Paula Fox's The Slave Dancer in
> her ninth grade class.  Has anyone had any challengers with this book and
> what were they?  She wants to be prepared before anything hits her.
> Thank you so much.
> Linda Pierce
> Hendersonville High School Library
> Hendersonville, TN 37075
> 615/824-6162
> Piercel@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu

Our district literature committee made up of teachers, parents and
administrators voted to remove the  Slave
Dancer from our core literature list for 6th grade because they felt it
was culturally insensitive. I happen to disagree with their reasoning,
but do feel that 6th graders are too young for the book. I have made my
feelings known to the committee.

Katie Williams
Los Cerros Middle School
Danville, Ca 94526