I was in 6th grade in Mr. Crawford's class in Pittsburgh Pa, at Lincoln
Elementary School.  The teacher had stepped out of the room for a minute.
An announcement cam over the speaker that all afternoon activities had
been cancelled due to the fact that the President had been assassinated.
We all thought that was a joke.  When the teacher returned to the room
he wondered why we were laughing.  He then informed us that it was true.
We were dumbfounded.  I returned home.  My mother was seriously (terminally)
ill at the time.  The family watched the funeral on TV.  I didn't want to take
a break, but my father insisted that my brothers, sister and I go to
church the day of the funeral.  I only missed part of the funeral procession.
I can still remember the host of forest dignitaries walking there as well
as Jackie and Bobbie.  Black Jack was magnificent.  It was something I
will never forget.  What a tragic few days.  What a magnificent woman to
bear up under all the strain.  The memories are deeply carved.  I had been
fortunate to see President Kennedy on a motorcade through Pittsburgh.  Again
a sight I will never forget.  (PS-My parents were deep republicans!)

Hope this adds to the insights you receive.
Barbara Bluestein  Princeton High School  Cincinnati, Ohio
usr13064@tso.uc.edu

LM_NET Archive Home