I was in 6th grade when Kennedy was shot. My class was lining up for gym
when the principal came on the PA and announced that the president had
beenshot and that he would broadcast the radio messages as they were
available. It seemed like a very short time later as our class returned to
their seats without going to gym that the news came that Kennedy was dead.
I can remember wondering who was in charge of the country and what was
going to happen to the world without a president. The images of the funeral
cortege will always be with me as well as the scene of Jack Ruby shooting
Lee Harvey Oswald. Even after I realized that ohnson was now our president
it seemed as if the world had turned upside down and nothing was ever going
to be normal again. Perhaps those events influenced the dissent of the late
60's and early 70's. The world had truly changed and we all survived it. I
still cry when I see film clips of the assassination and the funeral. I
can't even tell you why except it feels like the U.S. had to grow up very
suddenly that day and none of us were ever innocent again.
Pam Gelbmann
Blaine High School
Blaine, MN 55434

LM_NET Archive Home