Sandra, on the day JFK was killed, I was in the school cafeteria in a
small West Texas town.  I was a newly hired English teacher AND
librarian.  Some of the high school boys had been sitting in their cars
at noon, listening to music on their radios when the news commentators
broke in with the news.  One of the boys came running into the cafeteria,
shouting that President Kennedy had been shot.  Of course, I didn't
believe him because this kid was the class clown.  I told him that
he shouldn't be making jokes about something so serious. It was some time
before he convinced me that he was telling the truth.  That evening our
school held its annual football banquet, and because we had an
out-of-town speaker, it was too late to call it off.  But I can assure
you, it was a very sad evening.  Over the next few days we could not
leave our TV's.  We watched the news over and over again.  I hope we
never have to go through anything like this again.

Elizabeth Polk
Administrative Supervisor of Libraries
Austin ISD
2608 Richcreek Road