I remember quite well where I was on the day of JFK's assassination;  I was
a junior in high school and was in typing class when an announcement came
over the school intercom.  There was total silence (probably the first time
that had happened in a school of 1600) for several minutes.  Everyone was
in shock.  No one of our generation had experienced such a tragedy before.
Little did we know at that time that  this was only the beginning--Bobby
Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr., to be followed by the Vietnam War which
took the lives of many of our classmates.  Of course, since then
so many tragedies in our world has occurred.
But I will have to say that probably no other world event has had quite as
a profound impact on my emotions as that sad day in November, 1963.  We sat
in front of the tv for days grieving with the family as if it were our
own-and I say "we" because everyone around me felt the same. We were
cheated out of a leader that was admired-and the admiration grew..  The
respect for Jacqueline's courage was a lesson in how to live for us all.
When she died just this past year, the sadness was brought back.
I have lived "several" years since then--26 of those years have been spent
as a teacher and/or librarian--but I still feel the sense of tremendous
loss just as much today as I did in 1963.  Our world lost a magnificent
leader on that fateful day.

Edna Major, LMS    majore@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
Black Fox Elem.
Murfreesboro, TN 37130