I was a high school student at Penn Hills High School (in a suburb of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)  I was in one of my classes when they
announced over the intercom that JFK had been shot.  I lived in a bit of
a self-centered, protected little world where nothing bad ever happened.
It never occurred to me that it was serious and that he would die so I
went ahead with my plans to finish selling band candy with a friend.
Most people didn't answer their doors (they were either not home or
riveted to their TV sets, I suppose.)  The first few who did were crying
and wanted to talk about what was happening in Dallas.  We were beginning
to realize the seriousness of the situation when we finally were greeted
by an irate lady who told us in no uncertain terms that we needed to stop
bothering people and should get ourselves home.  To this day, I will
never forget the feelings I had when the importance of it all hit me!

K. Chepko
kchepko@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Tallahassee, Florida

LM_NET Archive Home