On the day that JFK was killed I was a young mother of two toddlers living
on East 81st Street in the Big Apple.  Another young mother was watching
my children while I ran down to the corner deli to get cigarettes. ( I
quit 4 years later.)  There I was standing in line and about to pay for my
purchase when the news was announced that shots were fired at the
President.

I ran home, listened tearfully to the radio as I had no TV.  When it was
announced that JFK was dead, the whole world seemed to become still.  I
heard an apartment door open and one neighbor call to another in a
plaintive voice, "Gertie, are you there? Gertie, he's dead."  I have
never forgotten the poignancy of that moment; I felt it all over again as
I observed Clinton's inauguration, symbolic of a generation behind me
taking the reins.  My generation's heroes--the two Kennedys, Martin Luther
King--never had the opportunity to give their full measure.  So sad, so
sad.

Carol Anderheggen
carolan@ids.net
LM_NET IS A JOY!