Greetings from Green Meadow Elementary School in Maynard, Massachusetts.

I remember so clearly where I was and how I felt the day JFK was assassinated.
I was in my sophomore Honors English class.  We were going over our vocabulary
list for the following week when we were interrupted by the yearbook salesman
(my teacher was the advisor).  I remember the ashen look that swept across her
face as he spoke to her in low tones.  I wondered for those very few seconds
what terrible yearbook news he had told her.  She turned to the class and told
us that he had heard the president had been shot.  They did not know yet that
he was dead.  Time stood still - the quiet was palpable.  The intercom crackled
and the principal announced the president's death and the immediate dismissal
of school.  Though I knew it must be true, I would not believe it.  2500
teenagers assembled at lockers, packed up their belongings, and left the
building within 5 minutes and there wasn't a sound.  As I emerged from the
high school, every church bell in town began the dolorous tolling that told me
this was in fact true.

I remember walking so fast - nearly running toward home - a mile and a half
away - not wanting to break down on the street.  I remember the overwhelming
sense of relief I felt when I saw my mother drive around the curve - she knew
I would need her to hold me while I cried.

Even still I cry.

Debbie Cranson
debcranson@mhs.maynard.k12.ma.us

LM_NET Archive Home