When JFK was shot, I was a library assistant at the University of
Washington (the Political Science branch).  I remember the exact moment
although I don't recall what I was doing - just shock!  That was a
time when libraries didn't have radios and TVs - those were strictly
for home use - so we had to depend on what people reported to us.
We did not have a TV at that time (we were pooor grad students and
TVs were still expensive) so we followed news on the radio.  That weekend,
we drove into the Cascade Mountains with friends, unaware that the drama
was increased when Ruby killed Oswald.  Violence was still a shock in
those days.  I must add that the worst moment came many years later.
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s death was also horrendous - but the worst
may have been Bobby Kennedy's because that was when we truly had to
wonder when the insanity was going to stop.  Sad to say, it hasn't.
Kari Inglis   kbw_inglis@mec.ohio.gov

LM_NET Archive Home