LM_NETTERS:
=09Actually, this isn't strictly a "hit", but I was trying to use a=20
descriptive subject heading.  A couple weeks ago, I posted a request for=20
greetings for a workshop I was presenting in No. Colorado called "Using=20
Internet in the Elementary Classroom".  In return, I'd post a sysopsis of=
=20
my presentation to the List.  Here 'tis.  Many thanks to the 60+ replies=20
we received.  I posted them on a map, and they stretched from Canada to=20
Ecuador.  Very impressive.  I made some letters available to conference=20
attendees, so I hope you received a followup letter.

I've tried to pull out references to our own system, and keep it fairly=20
genereric.  Of course, this is by no means an exhaustive list of=20
where-to's and how's, but I was speaking mostly to newbies to the Net,=20
and wanted sources that were easily accessible, and projects that were=20
within the realm of possibility.

Of course I can't (easily) post the downloaded examples of Net uses which=
=20
I used in my talk.  I used the KIDSHOW multimedia show from Kidlink;=20
several educational hypercard stacks from Nysernet and sumex-aim, and an=20
interesting hypermedia stack on No. Am. Indians from (I believe), Merit=20
software (via Nysernet). Our own system (alpha.pr1.k12.co.us) has several=
=20
educ.-related items.  You can access it by gopher, or URL:
=09http://alpha.pr1.k12.co.us
Mosaic users especially will appreciate the graphics, and resources being=
=20
made available to our school and community.  We really do have a fine=20
support staff, and it's been a pleasure sharing this with you all:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Internet and Elementary Students
Some "Ways and Wheres"=20
for Teachers and Students
Eugene Hainer
ehainer@alpha.pr1.k12.co.us

KIDLINK=09< gopher kids.ccit.duq.edu >
=09
A for-kids-only (ages 10-15) discussion and e-mail group that promotes=20
sharing,
talking, projects, and discussion for kids.  Other features:
=09=A5 IRC (Internet Relay Chat) for on-line discussion
=09=A5 ArtShow for posting and retreiving art from others in the =09  world
=09=A5 Projects--vary by season. =20
=09=A5 Discussion and sharing group for educators=20

BVSD Gopher (Boulder Valley School District)< gopher bvsd.k12.co.us >
=09
An archive of ideas and uses of Internet with classes.  Includes some=20
how-to's for  learning more about Net procedures.

NYSERNET Gopher (NY State Educational Research NETwork)=20
< gopher nysernet.org >

A storehouse of many Internet resources:
=09=A5 Software archives (many transferrable via gopher)
=09=A5 Curriculum guides and resources
=09=A5 Educational connections, K-12

Common Knowledge Gopher =09< gopher pps.pgh.pa.us >

Based in Pittsburgh, an excellent source for K-12 related items, and Intern=
et
resources, including:
=09=A5 Internet projects, 93-95, and "51 Internet success =09  stories"
=09=A5 Curriculum areas for Arts, math, science, social studies, =09 =20
and other general items.
=09=A5  Census data, and CIA World Fact Book.
=09=A5 Internet user guides and assistance.

Missouri Network Gopher=09< gopher mizzou1.missouri.edu >
=09=09
Another source for network and educational resources; similar to=20
Nysernet, but with a different list and arrangement of information.

-1-

Listservs

A listserv is similar to a magazine subsription, using e-mail.  Once subscr=
ibed,
you will get everyones postings, and can reply, or post your own comments a=
nd
questions.  Subscribing is done with e-mail:  send a message to the list
address, and include only the following in your message:
subscribe <listname>  your_first_name, your_last_name
Details of your subscription will arrive to your e-mail box.

Many listserv lists for educators exist; NYSERNET and Common Knowledge offe=
many of these in the K-12 or resources menu areas.

KIDSPHERE=09< available by subscription >

A heavily used list for teachers to share information, and seek project=20
or Net assistance.  Use Alpha Usenet to preview recent postings, and see=20
subscription instructions.

*This will bring you ALOT of mail.  Suggest reading posting on Usenet, if
available, to keep up with discussions.

KIDS

The "kids" portion of KIDSPHERE.   This was created as an outlet for kids a=
nd
classes to request and reply to penpal, and similar requests.  Not=20
heavily used, but can be useful if patient.

IECC (International Electronic Classroom Connections)=20
=09subscribe for more details on uses and archive data.

Designed primarily to seek classroom assistance for Internet projects. =20
It is divided into three areas: discussion, connections, and projects; thes=
e=20
tend to overlap.  Check the gopher site for more information.
Subscribing:  iecc-request@stolaf.edu

EDNET  and  EDTECH
=09
EDNET is primarily for educator comments, discussion, and sharing of=20
educational concerns and questions.  EDTECH is for discussion and=20
comments on the technology side of education. =20
=09Subscriptions: =09EDNET:  listserv@nic.umass.edu
=09=09=09=09EDTECH: listserv@ohstvma.bitnet

INCLASS
=09
A fairly new listserv designed for sharing Internet uses and procedures=20
in the classroom.  Initial postings tend toward questions, rather than=20
practical information, but it is new, and not heavily used as yet.  Based=
=20
in Canada, French messages occur occassionally.

USENET groups=20
for Educational Use

Usenet, available on most systems, can be used for contacting others for
assistance in projects, or for seeking data on particular subject areas. =
=20
Usenet groups are open to all users, and there is little control of topics,=
=20
opinions,and protocol. The k12.chat.* groups are the tamest; others should =
be used=20
by a professional, rather than students.  Not all groups exist all all site=
s.
Contact your Internet operator for details on accessing needed groups.

K12.chat.*=09<* is a "wildcard" key to match all groups.)

This offers a variety of chat groups, from elementary to high school, and=
=20
many other subject-area groups.  The student-oriented groups tend to be=20
penpal
request and replies; the teacher groups tend more toward discussion and
commentary.

-2-

Miscellaneous sources for information=20
and further Internet Uses

ERIC gopher=09=09< gopher ericir.syr.edu >

A source for ERIC documents and abstracts.  Many menu choices, including: =
=09
=09=A5 archives of several education-based Listservs. =20
=09=A5 K12 networking guides.
=09=A5 subject-area resources.

Educational MOO: Diversity University=09
< telnet erau.db.erau.edu 8888 >

Intended as a "virtual community" for educators and students, this site=20
offers the user a chance to explore a variety of "locations" in=20
cyberspace, and interact with other users simultaneously.  Some knowledge=
=20
of commands and protocol are necessary; assistance is available by typing=
=20
"help", and following other on-screen instructions.  While not strictly=20
oriented to any particular education field, this is a fun place to=20
investigate.

Hillside Elementary Web=09=09
< in lynx: http://hillside.coled.umn.edu >

An example of a hypermedia-multimedia project by, and for, elementary=20
students. Use lynx (if available on your system), followed by the http=20
address above.  Use on-screen intructions to navigate the project. =20
Mosaic users will have access to more aspects of the project.

LYNX=09

Lynx emulates the Turbogopher and Mosaic screens available to direct-connec=
Internet users, but without the ease of graphic viewing. The point-and-clic=
menu are used to navigate to various resources.=20

-3-

Miscellaneous addresses  for student or class use:

Geologic and Seismic data:
=09gopher: wealaka.okgeosurvey1.gov

Ask-a-Geologist=09(e-mail replies to reasonable geologic =09questions)
=09e-mail: ask-a-geologist@octopus.wr.usgs.gov

History
=09telnet: history.cc.ukans.edu  (login =3D  history for menu =09list)

Government Educational Data
=09gopher: gopher.ed.gov

Job Listings (resumes and openings: media-related)
=09telnet: 128.174.4.10=09( login =3D jobs / pswd =3D urbaign)

Math
=09gopher: math.lfc.edu
=09gopher: stis.nsf.gov 70=09<includes MathMagic project>

NASA / Space=09<many other sites exist besides these>
=09gopher: quest.arc.nasa.gov
=09gopher: seds.lpl.arizona.edu

Science:
=09gopher: nmnhgoph.si.edu  =09(Smithonian Institute)
=09telnet: newton.dep.anl.gov=09(login =3D BBS)

Whitehouse Publications:
=09e-mail: publications@whithouse.gov  (msg =3D send info )

Whitehouse Mail:
=09e-mail: president@whitehouse.gov
=09=09  vice-president@whitehouse.gov

Yanoff's list=09(subject guide to Internet Resources)
=09finger: yanoff@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  for more information on obtaining this
=09valuable resource list.

-4-

Project suggestions for students or classes

1) Obtain Penpals or classpals.  Create questions for class pals to answer.

2) Exchange class or school newspapers; use snail-mail, fax, or post=20
on-line (in your own URL or gopher menu).

3) Post a request for topical information to several lists, or newsgroups.
Graph the resulting data, and write replies to those who provide informatio=
n.

4) Exchange field-trip information with another class in the world.

5) Locate job postings, and investigate common (or uncommon) positions,=20
required training, salaries, and locations.  Create a fictional job for=20
the school or class, or create a 'resume' to apply for a position.

6) Send a letter to the president, or another government leader.

7) Use the CIA World Fact Book, or census records to investigate local, or
distant areas.  Compare data between states, or countries.

8) Solicit classes or schools on listservs for an e-mail question-contest,
poetry sharing, or similar writing excersize.  Offer on-line, or snail mail
awards for participants.

9) Role play a period in history; enroll other classes to participate by
adopting a character, and sending e-mail to participants.

10) Share stories, or reports on-line with others studying a similar topic.

11) Create an add-on story, or "choose your own adventure" type story with =
other
classes.

12) Create a multi-media presentation on a topic, and post it on-line for=
=20
other schools (enlist sysop for details on how to post a hypercard or=20
similar stack).

13) Have students locate game or educational software on-line, and=20
install it on class computers.  After learning how to play the game, have=
=20
them teach each other how to play.

14) Seek recipes or customs from other countries.  Have students send=20
replies of thanks; use information to create a hypermedia stack or display.

15) Use the government databases to track certain legislation, or legislati=
ve
events.

16) Use the Library of Congress to create a bibliography of materials on=20
a given subject.

17) Explore gophers in other countries, and locate information of their are=
a.
Share findings with class.

18) Post current class, or school activities on a gopher or URL server in=
=20
your district.  Ask you sysop for details on completing this activity. =20
Assign students to update it regularly.

19) Seek mentors on a curriculum subject through selected lists, or=20
Usenet News groups.  Have students e-mail questions or comments to their=20
mentors, and formulate replies if answers are received.

20)  Use Veronica as a search tool to locate curricular-related items such=
=20
as "holocaust"; languages; sports; newspapers; or other such terms. =20
Report findings to class.

21) Subscribe to Kidlink.  Have students reply to four questions=20
required, and exchange ideas and comments in KidCafe.  NOTE: for ages=20
10-15 only.

=3D=3D=3D
Eugene Hainer   Linton Elementary =09| ehainer@alpha.pr1.k12.co.us=20
Mediaguy=094100 Caribou Dr. =09|
=09=09Ft. Collins, CO 80525 =09| "I'd give you everything I've got
=09=09303-223-9901=09=09| for a little peace of mind" -Lennon
=3D=3D=3D

LM_NET Archive Home