Dear LM-Netters,
I worked Bingo once a week all last summer to earn the money for a lazer
printer.  Now it's time to spend the money and I'd appreciate a little
advice.  My plans are to buy an HP M+ (I think that's the model-I left my
notes at school, but anyway it's the one that costs about $1800, and does
12 pages per minute.  The thing that really decided me is the per page
cost which is about 1 1/2 cents less than the MP+.
Here is what we want to do.  We have a small ibm lan presently 6
workstations and a file server--soon to have 3 more  workstations added.
The 3 new ones plus one of the original six will service the library
automation system. We want to hook up the printer so it can be used on
the network, at least by the principal and secretary as well as the
library.  We also want to be able to connect it to one of our stand alone
MAC's because that is where I do most of my word-processing and desktop
publishing.  We have pagemaker for the MAC but all we have for IBM is
Microsoft Works.  Also the teachers and students do not have access to
the IBM's at all.  Even when we have the library system up and running,
supposedly, they will not be able to use it to run any other programs.

Now the reason for all this exclusion is our district network
manager/technological consultant.  He will not even approve my clerk to
access the school records even though the one current library workstation
takes up half the surface of her desk and she is the one who does overdue
notices.  Go figure.  She has to go down to the office where the
secretary will not look up records for her and go through the old printed
cards. ( Sorry, I digress, just wanted a sympathetic audience).

Back to the lazer printer.  the network guy says what I want cannot be
done.  He says he can hook it up to the network as a remote printer, but
that if he does, I will not be able to access it with a stand-alone MAC.
The people at COMP USA say I can, but they can't explain exactly how.
One of my colleagues has a son who says not to worry. he can do it for us.

What do you think?  Does anyone have this kind of system in working order.
Assuming I could get ahold of the right people at Hewlett-Packard, could
they tell me?

Probably I should be asking this question of EdTech or some other list,
but I honestly can't handle more than one listserv at this time.

Thanks,
Paula Neale
mohmie@coop.crn.gen.mo.us

LM_NET Archive Home