Roselle

From weathers@tenet.eduSun Nov 20 00:09:24 1994
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 1994 17:22:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Kay Weathers <weathers@tenet.edu>

Are you responsible for your network or is their a system administrator
that is part of your school staff.  I am a librarian responsible for 6
networks based out of the libraries and I have had Novell training that
was a part of the cost of our Novell with our Education Service Center
here in Texas.  I have had to learn all those things that you mention
and much more.  We do use outside help when necessary, but 90% of the
time, I can handle it as can all my other librarians---some of which I
just trained myself as needed.  There are good books out there in the
book stores and computer stores that can simplify things and make the
learning easier.  You could learn the basics from these, but much of the
learning comes from having to do it.  For example, installing networked
CD-ROM's is fairly basic after you know how to do one of them---but,
modification is necessary on each new title.  The instructions that come
with them are what I use---as a last resort, I call tech support.  This
is not a real answer, but I just want you to know that it is possible to
handle networks.  You can learn it without the expensive Novell training,
but you should have a support person to rely on who DOES know Novell for
at least the first year.  Your vendor's CNE should be your best source if
you have no one in the district.

Kay Weathers
Coordinator of Library Media Services and Technology
weathers@tenet.edu

From: CAROLAN@ids.net
To: r_weiner@SACAM.OREN.ORTN.EDU

Roselle--I convinced my school district that I needed to get certified
Novell netware administration training.  In fact, I am starting on Monday
with the DOS brush up course they offer.  It is very expensive--$1500.00
but is the only way I can know what I am doing with the two networks I am
involved with.

If you cannot or do not want to do that training (make sure it is
certified Novell training) then try NETWARE FOR DUMMIES.  It has lots of
good information in it and is readable.  Good luck!

Carol Anderheggen
carolan@ids.net
LM_NET IS A JOY!

From: Melissa Davis <mbdavis@tenet.edu>
To: Roselle _ Weiner <r_weiner@SACAM.OREN.ORTN.EDU>

<<snipped out copy of my message here>>

Sounds like you need to get a supervisor password to let you into the
system. My everyday password has some restrictions on it - in case I have
to leave the computer and someone tries to 'help'. But I have a second
password that let's me do _everything_. (But I never walk away from a
computer that I've used it on!)

With such a password, you would exit from your menu (<Esc> key maybe?)
and type c:  to get to your local harddrive, or  cd \____ to change to
another directory on your network drive. The movement commands are
basically the same as the dos ones, you just have more drive letters to
work with (which ones they are depends on how your network was set up).

Once you have this kind of access you can explore where things are, even
print out directory trees, subdirectory file lists, etc. Your network
installer should tell you how to access your cd menu - it will depend on
what software you're using. If it's the built-in Novell menu system, look
for *.mnu files in the \public directory.

> Do you have Netware?  Do you rely on tech support (out side consultant)
> or a local all around technician?  Do you have any feel for your system
> at all and if so, HOW did you get it?  Are there any books you would
> recommend?  Lists?  Forums?  I didn't plan for this...I wanted a network
> that I could relate to.  I think we are in over our heads and very
> expensively.

I just ran out of time on TENET. If you have more questions, I'll try to
help BUT I'm not a network administrator. I've just explored my system a
little. Feel free to email or call.

From: Carol Simpson <csimpson@tenet.edu>

Roselle, I manage =41= (yes, you read that right - 41!) Novell networks
linked together via one large internetwork.  I've done this for7 years,
and I only took my first Novell training a year an a half ago.  Yes, I'm
reasonably techie, but I read a lot.  Get some of the Que books on
Netware.  (Do you have Novell 3.12?  It's pretty easy to manage.  It only
uses about three keys on the keyboard - escape, insert and delete, plus
enter.)  And if someone is quoting you $5000, they are taking you for a
ride.  You need to take Novell System Manager and Novell Advanced System
Manager.  That's it.  The rest of the courses are for the CNE
certification.  You don't need that, but you need access to one.  Who
installed your Novell?  Did you include some support in your bid?  It's
invaluable.  Despite the best management, networks break.  Oftentimes a
phone call to a CNE will solve the problem, but it needs to be a CNE who
=knows= your network.  I did fine with 3.12, but we just upgraded to
Novell 4.02.  It's fine for our WAN, but I need more training.
Fortunately our regional Educational Service Center offers Novell
training for half price.  The two courses I mentioned above will cost you
about $1700 - retail.  You might get an educational discount.  And Novell
and our state recommends that there be TWO trained people PER SERVER!
I'd second that recommendation.

Carol Mann Simpson                   csimpson@tenet.edu
Facilitator - Library Technology          214 882-7450
Mesquite (TX) Independent School District

LM_NET Archive Home