Just an observationin all the discussion about overdues/check-out
no one seems to be an advocate for a student who approached me recently
regarding an overdue book that had not been returned for ages despite
my having sent notices, etc. (we cannot fine, however).

The student rightly wanted his turn with a great book, and without
some restrictions/penalties, etc, is he going to get it?

As a mentor of mine once told me, only the patron knows when a book
is REALLY due, i.e. when he is "finished," but I still have a question
whether we truly serve the "good" patron who wants his turn and will
abide by our policies by being as lenient as we usually are with the
laggards.....

They say all the easy problems are already solved.....

Dana Pope
popeda@heidelberg-emh2.army.mil

LM_NET Archive Home