For years I've been insisting that all my studxents
Cite the Site where they Sighted the information.
This helped them understand the importance of citations, and keeping an
accurate record of where they got the information, especially after I
explained plagiarism by using the analogy of getting praised for doing
something you really hadn't done... and getting punished, equally, for
something you had ALSO not done.  When put in familial terms; e.g. your
kid brother got the praise you had rightfully earned, they got the point.

Our problem, however, is that "unintential" plagiarism is all around the
kids, as in when teachers make copies of essays, poems, etc. to use with
classes, and never give credit or citations to the original works.
And you don't always want to argue with the teacher ... even though I
agree with susan Kovalik's contention that we should be the intellectual
consciences of the school ... because sometimes there are bigger issues
to focus our daily work on.
Alice H. Yucht  <yucht@zodiac.rutgers.edu>

LM_NET Archive Home