Here are the responses, edited for brevity:

From: Tony Sacco

i advise you to spend as much money as you can afford for an lcd panel;
thus, better resolution, faster response, etc.  infocus is a major leading
brand and the better ones are in the $4,000+ range.

there is another alternative that may fit.  if you can purchase the large
screen tv's and mount them high on the wall (which may take advantage of
existing cable services or other future enhancements), there are little
black boxes that are in the $200 to $300 range (check out black box
catalogs) that you plug the vga or better monitor cable into, another cable
into the in-port of the tv and both the monitor and tv are synch'ed.  the tv
is high resolution and instant response -- and the whole solution is alot
less money.

**

From: Ralph Hinzman

We have a Sharp model QA-50 that seems to work fine.  It's two or three
years old.  There probably are more refined models now.  Seems like these
things change pretty quickly.

**
From: Mary Jameson

  Many people like the nView color panel, InFocus also is recommended.  I
am told many distributors like Education Resources has an educational
panel that is sold cheaper than
your local computer vendor can supply it.  You might call your photography
store; they sell LCD panels.  Hope this helps.

**
From: Judith Griffiths

I recently purchased a Proxima ColorWorks 10 inch LCD panel for about
$2600.00 plus $200.00 for a hard carrying case.  So far, so good.

**

From: Jacqueline M George

        Wouldn't something like TelevEyes which takes a computer image to
a television screen work just as well?  We have been happy with classroom
presentations made in this way-LCD panels vary so greatly in clarity, and
showing it on a TV screen (at least 25") works well in classes.

**
From: "Cathie L. Birdsong"

   We have several different kinds of LCD panels and none of
them do a very good job of displaying images, particularly
color.  We are having much more success with large monitors; in
fact, we would love to find someone to sell our LCD panels to.

**

From: Judith Griffiths

From: Barb Baker

Out PTA bought us a video projector which I have been using with a Presentor
Plus to show computer screens. I don't know how the cost compares to an
overhead, but I find it pretty great. Our high school is also using some sort
of video projector in their lab. Don't know what kind, though. Mine is an
EIKI, but it is overkill if it is just for a computer lab as this one also
contains a VCR.
**

From: Don Shields

If you have a TV monitor with a SVGA input try using an AVERKEY 3 from
AVER Technologies. Price is around $380 cheaper and better than an LCD
and dosn't require an overhead. It is not good with standard NTSC (the
little RCA jack) which is standard on all TV's. SVGA or S-Video is a
current high grade standard on almost all TV sets sold in the last year
or two.

**
From: Winnie W Ngan

 We have one panel in our Mac lab, which the
teacher is using constantly.  She also has access to a laserdisc player.
  This teacher is also our tech support person, so also uses the panel
for training (both administration and inservice).  She has also gotten us
programs allowing us (teachers) to display the screen through a TV (or so
other type of monitor).  The panel drawbacks are that the cost is too
high to justify an expensive and sensitive unit to be passed around to
everyone and a special overhead is required (must put out a bright light
and still not burn out the panel, and uses an expensive replacement bulb)
and the room must be fairly dark.  The "presenter" programs allow full
room lights while hooked up to the computer.  We use this in the library
(we have walls of windows) to demostrate using our online menu system and
the programs (catalog and CD-ROMS).
**

From: Cheri Quillin

LCD panels are somewhat expensive, also you need to keep an overhead and
cart available.  My inexpensive, yet satisfactory, solution has been a
ProPC/TV Plus which is a small box which connects between your CPU and TV or
VCR.  We purchased ours for less than $150 through Damark.  It is simple to
install and use (I keep mine connected all the time, just in case...).  Its
resolution might not be quite as good as a LCD panel, but it works for us.
***

From: HPaulC@aol.com
We have an InFocus 1600GS that was the low bid through our AEA.  It works OK,
but doesn't have an off/on switch, which I think is inconvenient--you
have to
pull the power jack to shut it off!

**

From: "Katharine D. Graves"

Make sure your LCD Panel is an "active matrix", and is in color.  There's
one on the market right now for under $2500.00.  If you'll give me a call
at 916-842-8427 I'll look it up for you.  I am using another person's
computer in another office right now so I don't have the information
**

From: jperkins
We use the Infocus 1600C panel and are very pleased--it will operate on Mac
or DOS platforms.

LM_NET Archive Home