I agree that kids with overdues cannot check books out. I save the book
they pick and if they bring the overdue book they can check the saved
book out the next day. The same kids have overdues over and over while
most kids bring their books back.  Right ow the k-2 kids are keeping
their books in the classroom so they can learn how to return them-in
january they will be allowed to take one book home and when it is
returned they may take another. Our problem is having the families
understand the whole concept of library books! The kids take them home
and they are never seen again. So i spend the first feww months letting
the kids learn about the concept of books, to respect them and that we
don't write or tear etc. so that by the time they take them home they
will not let the little borthers and sisters "play" with the books.  Some
of us are starting at different levels than others. I also have a policy
for lost books that the students can pay a dollar a week and when they
bring that first dollar they can start checking out again. It may seem
harsh, but I would have no books for anyone to check out otherwise.
would appreciate any comments on my policy.

LM_NET Archive Home