Dear LM Netters,
On Nov. 17th I wrote....

I'm searching for exciting fiction taking place in the southwest region of
the U.S. I'm looking for books on a 6th-9th grade reading level, specific
states of interest are; Arizona, California,not california,I meant Coala
Colorado, New Mexico and Utah.

Your response was terrific, it was interesting to learn that so many
excellent books have been recently written in this catagory.  Since some
of you asked for a hit list, I was delighted to have so many resources to
list:

Gloria Skurzynski writes exciting adventure stories in the S.W. wilderness;

Trapped in Slickrock Canyon
Lost in the Moving Mountain
Lost in the DEvil"s Desert(Utah)
Dangerous Ground)Wyoming)

Richard Bradford wrote:

Red Sky at Morning

Gary Paulsen wrote:

Canyon's(El Paso, Texas)
Sentries
The Crossing(Texas)

Scott O'Dell wrote:

Sing Down the Moon
The King's Fifth
Thiunder Rolling in the Mountain

Judy Blume wrote:

Tiger Eyes (new Mexico)

Patricia Meek wrote:

Lost in the Desert(Arizona)

Ivy Ruckman wrote:

Night of the Twisters(Nebraska Thriller)
No Way Out(Utah)
Who Needs Rainbows(Kansas)

Lois Duncan wrote:

Summer of Fear

Will Hobbs an ALA Best Books author wrote:

Bearstone(Colorado)
Beardance(sequel to Bearstone)
The Big Wander
Down River

Keo Lazurus wrote:

Rattlesnake Run

Bill Wallace wrote:

Buffalo Gal

Clifton Wisler wroe:

Winter of the Wolf

Paul Pitts wrote:

Racing the Sun

Paul Fleishman wrote:

Jim Ugly( mystery, detective story of the old west, older book but highly
recommended)

Irene Hunt wrote:

The Everlasting Hills

Patricia Beatty wrote:

By Crumbs(Arizona 1880's)
How Many Miles to Sundown

Charles Bohmer wrote:

Bold Journey

Allan W. Eckert wrote:

Incident at Hawk's Hill

Tony Hillerman has written many books about the southwest and the Navaho
Indians.  They were recommended for a slightly older audience, 8th grade
readers.  Since he has written so many I've listed mostly recent works:

Skin Walkers
sacred Clowns
Hillerman Country: A Journey through the Southwest with Tony Hillerman
Talking God
Coyote Waits
A Theif in Time
Dance Hall ohf the Dead
The Boy Who Made Dragonfly:A Zuni Myth

Exploir

Exploring the Southwest States through Literature   is part of a series
published in 1994 by Oryx.  This would be an excellent resource to
lengthen this list.

Thanks so much for all your excellent suggestions.

          Martha Lambertsen
          302 north Providence
          Wallingford, Pa.
          19086