My district is looking for ways to increase planning time (release time)
for elementary teachers.  Currently, release time is provided by library
(30 min.), music (60 min.), art (60 min.) and p.e. (60 min.) classes each
week for a total of 210 min. per week.  They would like to begin by
providing a minimum of 60 min. per day or 300 min. per week eventually
arriving at 90 min. per day.  One of the proposals for providing this
added release time (at little or no additional expense to the district)
is to double library time (shudder).  My principal asked me to post a
query to LM_Net to ascertain how other districts provide release time for
their elementary teachers.  At the present time elementary librarians in
this district serve between 500-600 students.  Those in large schools are
there full time with no clerical help.  Those who serve two schools have
clerical assistance to cover one school while they are at the other.  If
you are in a district that has found a way to provide its elementary
teachers with 60-90 min. per day for planning (hopefully without adding
to the librarian's class schedule), please send the information to me at
the address below.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Sharon Marsh
Horace Mann Elementary School
3745 S. Broadway
Springfield, MO  65807