Is anyone out there in lm_net-land familiar with the concept of "study groups"?

One of the techniques which my school wants to explore is the use of study
groups to help our students improve their academic achievement.  We are
interested in study groups as practiced by Japanese students or law students
in which students get together for the purpose of studying.  We want to know
how to get groups started, what kind of structure groups have used, if adults
are used as leaders or facilitators, when and where these groups meet, etc.

I did an ERIC search using "study groups" and "study circles" but did not
find items which really addressed student study groups; most dealt with
adult study groups, or teacher study groups, either as a method of improving
teamwork or as a research technque.  I also found study groups as a way of
teaching literature, which also was not what we wanted.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.  Please respond to me directly
If there is interest, I will do a hit after I gather replies.

Judy Gray     Nottingham High School, Syracuse, NY    eric02@suvm.syr.edu

LM_NET Archive Home