Dear Group,

Sorry it took so long for me to post this hit - I was slowed down a
bit by AASL and Children's Book Week.  Thanks to all who sent me
book titles about their states or regions.  We have decided to make
this an ongoing project - we will make initial purchases based on
suggestions by LM_Netters and we will also purchase the Oryx Press
series (Exploring the states through literature) to help us
continue to put together our "states" collection.
I received the following suggestions:

California                   Fool's Gold - Snyder

California and SW region     books by Patricia Beatty

Wisconsin             Winding Valley Farm: Annie's Story -Pellowski
                             Pieces of the Picture - Josse
                             Caddie Woodlawn - Brink
                             The Zebra - Henkes (also given as Zebra Wall)
                             Flyaway - Hall
                             Little House in the Big Woods - Wilder
                             Better Than a Brother - McCall
                             Anna, the One and Only - Joose
                             Orphaned Pup - Lapp
                             The Island - Paulsen
                             Holding Steady - Schwandt
                             Roots in the Outfield - Zirpoli
                             (Marion Fuller Archer and Sterling North
                              are authors who write about Wisconsin)

Minnesota               Betsy-Tacy stories by Lovelace

South Carolina         Bridges of Summer - Seabrooke

Tennessee              Borrowed Children - Lyon
                             The Perilous Road (and other titles by
                                                Steele)
                             Listen for Rachel - Kassem
                             The Education of Little Tree - Carter
                             The Red Wind - Traylor

Maryland               Jacob Have I Loved - Paterson
                             Homecoming - Paterson
                             Dicey's Song - Paterson

Pennsylvania           Bread Sister of Sinking Creek - Moore

Texas                     Old Yeller - Gibson
                             Winter of the Wolf - Wisler
                             Where the Pirates Are - Townsend
                             A Paradise Called Texas - Shefelman
                             Sarah, Sissy Weed and the ships of the
                                         Desert - Paul
                             Devil Storm - Nelson
                             Legend of the Blue Bonnet - DePaola

Rhode Island                 Something Upstairs - Avi
                                    Blue Heron - Avi

Nebraska                     Night of the Twister - Ruckman

New York                     Breaking the Ring - Inglehart

Alabama                        To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee
New Hampshire             Look to the Mountain
Ohio                              Weasel - DeFelice
Missouri                         Man Who Loved Clowns
Missouri and Kansas      Rifles for Watie
West Virginia                Shiloh - Naylor
                        A Blue-eyed Daisy - Rylant
                        Starfisher - Yep
Various southern states      Windham's books of ghost stories
Texas                        Willow Creek Home - Shefelman
                             Spirit of Iron - Shefelman
                             A Paradise Called Texas

Also suggested - the series Exploring the States through Literature
                  (Oryx Press)
                - article in Sept. 94 Booklinks

Betsy Breiding  R7Media@wvnvm.wvnet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home