    Our first library computer was purchased with funds provided by a
community fund raiser last spring.  I selected an IBM Eduquest 50 with an
internal CD-Rom drive, and set it up for service during the first week of
school in September.  I was in heaven!  The 400 children in my 3-4-5
elementary school would at last join the muti-media world.  WRONG!!  The
CD-Rom did not function at all, and despite 3 months of endless phone
calls and 3 repair visits it still does not work properly--no sound in some
programs, no videos and/or animations in others, etc.  The only CD program
that runs completely and consistently is San Diego Zoo's Animals.  Our
school district bought the library a Hewlett Packard set up in October that
runs everything perfectly, so I know I can expect better, and, in fact, IBM
agrees with me totally.  Unfortunately, agreeing with me doesn't help.
    Now my principal wants to schedule an open house for all the community
groups that donated funds to buy the IBM machine--a machine that is little
better than a desk ornament!  HELP!!  Does anyone know how to get ACTION on
a problem like this?  Do you know ANYONE I can call or write?  I've done all
the 800 support numbers and have had my own IBM contact person for almost a
month to no avail.  The contact listens to my complaints and has even
suggested I call him every day, but NOTHING HAPPENS!!!  My kids deserve a
computer that works.  I know this is a real test of our LM_Net, but if you
have any ideas, I will be forever grateful for your help.
--
        Linda Gentalen                     "Most of the discoveries are yet
        Grandview School Library           to be made.  We know very, very

LM_NET Archive Home