This is definitely one of the things I dislike most about my job; telling
a student or parent that a book must be paid for, especially when they
say they didn't check it out.  However, my assistant & I are very careful
to doublecheck the name on the screen when we enter their library
number.  If we don't know that student yet, we always say their name so
we know that we are checking the book{s} out to the proper person.  I
explain this to them when they say "I didn't check that book out."  We
pretty much stick to our guns in this case.  Of course, if the book turns
up, they get a refund.

Sharon Wright
swright@esd114.wednet.edu
Central Kitsap S.D.