I agree with your original thought that it is an appropriate use of the
LM Net to ask for keypals for elementary aged children.  I dont think
that it is appropriate for young children to use LM Net themselves, but
that is not what you were asking, as far as I can remember.  No one can
afford to subscribe to many lists- there is just too much mail for anyone
to reasonably handle.  Consequently, it is necessary to use broad
spectrum discussion groups such as this for more than one purpose.  And
by the way, I feel that LM Net should remain undivided.  However, I
belong to another discussion group where I can ask for messages that have
only certain TOPIC headings.  However, if I use the DIGEST feature, I get
every topic whether I want it or not.   Perhaps this feature can be
incorporated into LM Net, so that those of us who are email addicts can
get everything but those who want only certain topics can be more
selective.  Personally, when it comes to the question of what's relevant,
I find the most unlikely (at first glance) topics to be at least of
interest and sometimes very useful.  The TOPICS function makes
serendipity much less likely and aren't librarians kin to Prince Serendip?

Lynne Phillips, Teacher-Librarian, Cook Ave School
Rossland, British Columbia, Canada

lphillip@ciao.trail.bc.ca

LM_NET Archive Home